ConversionThingy 2: Revision History
If significant changes or updates are made to ConversionThingy 2 or its
documentation, an overview of those changes will appear here as the program
updates are published. Here's what we've got so far...
Updates are likely to be few and far between.
- August 30, 2010 - General release of build 184.108.40.206
- August 31, 2010 - Documentation overhaul
- September 2, 2010 - Build 220.127.116.11 - New error message and procedure for handling empty Assessments. The fix appears in version 18.104.22.168. (Thanks to Mitch Baker at Lee University for his help in identifying this issue.)
- September 8, 2010 - Documentation fix (fixed Configuration page to indicate that a report and log entry does, in fact, accompany IMS-CC conversions; removed "The THE" construction on license page; replaced "are should not" with just "should not" on license page; added bold typeface to the license note prohibiting use by commercial entities; updated the PDF version of the documentation to reflect these changes).
- September 14, 2010 - Added reminder to respect copyrights to the "Converting Archives" page. Also added a video as a means of alleviating the high moral seriousness that had crept into the prose.
- December 11, 2010 - Build 22.214.171.124 - Added support for some multiple-blank fill-in-the-blank questions;
incorporated hitherto neglected processing for ANGEL's "Section Heading" objects;
incorporated a fix for the "Pause" alert (and the crash that would follow) in
those instances when an ANGEL questionbank hierarchy had branches wholly unconnected to its root folder;
added a process that, on launch, checks server for messages related to the
installation; added a feedback/contact button to the invoice page; and, finally,
began generating a new file--"ids.xml"--on program close to provide future
continuity across version upgrades. See the technical notes page for details.
- January 5, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199 - Fixed a problem I apparently created with the
December 11 update: the issue, that ordinary single-blank fill-in-the-blank
questions were not being created correctly, should now be resolved. And I
think the cloze question handling for the Multiple-blank questions survived the
modification. [I was wrong--they didn't: see Jan 6 update note.]
- January 6, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52/57 - Pretty much fed up with the multiple fill-in-the-blanks format. As it turns out, the January 5 fix for the single blank questions broke the cloze questions. But they're all working with this update.
Also, this update includes a modification to the issue notification routine I'd started
in December; as of this version, I can post an issue report or notification to the installation server and your installation will retrieve it on start-up. That function should be useful for drawing attention to issues that demand some attention.
- January 15, 2011 - Build 184.108.40.206 - Added a Moodle 2.0 output option, provided path for Moodle 1.x to Moodle 2.0 backup processing. Fixed
issue which required file
resources to be opened and saved before they can be viewed); fixed issue that
affected the integrity of some quizzes when multiple pool questions were being
drawn from multiple question categories). Added a process (and an option on the configuration tab) to remove
folders (with their contents) and question bank folders (with their contents) where those folders carry a user-specified title. (See the
Configuration page for details.) Updated most
of the pages on this site, excluding the "License," "What it's Worth," and
- January 17, 2011 - Build 220.127.116.11 - Added branch to the Moodle 2 processing of
1.98 files so that a backup file missing a default course GRADE_CATEGORY would
still process more or less elegantly (instead of just failing). Thanks to Joseph Thibault at Moodle News
(http://www.moodlenews.com/) for helping me track this down.
- January 19, 2011, wee hours of the morning - Build 18.104.22.168 - the Moodle 1.9x to Moodle 2.0 processing should now also be
converting Glossary, Choice, and Database assignments. With the latter of these, the field names/types are converted, but
records, if any exist, are not. And I may not have broken anything else in the process.
- January 25 or 26th - Build 22.214.171.124 - Added "Lesson" processing, with caveat
that there's still a bug in 2.0 that makes the restoration of lessons lose their
links. Rearranged the Configuration tab contents to make them more intelligible.
- February 7, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199, late at night - Neither ANGEL nor
Moodle conversions to Moodle 2.0 should fail to restore because of missing files
anymore: a check for missing files is run and references to absent files are
expunged from the files.xml file (and the inforef.xml file and maybe somewhere
else too) before the Moodle 2 backup is generated. Also: a number of pages
on this site have changed, including the installation page, which now has a new
location and a more consistent appearance.
- February 9/10 2011 - Builds 188.8.131.52-67. A latenight fix to address a program
initialization issue I'd created in 184.108.40.206. The problem had an error message (and subsequent shutdown) appearing in
fresh installations of (as opposed to updates to) 220.127.116.11. I also moved the process by which it checks for updates: as of this
18.104.22.168, it checks as the program is launched.
- February 12, 2011 - Build 22.214.171.124. Rewrote program initialization. Most other
issues addressed here involve ANGEL conversion fixes, finding elusive images and
files when they're not actually embedded in the ANGEL backup. Changes to almost
every page on this site, including the license. Please read it all over: this
will be on the exam.
- February 14, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199. Validation button added to config option for ANGEL server field, so that
you can know it's pointing to the right path and won't draw an error; rewrite of the routine for identifying and
pointing to server-based images in ANGEL archives.
- February 22, 2011. Documentation modification. Added section called "When Things
Go Wrong" to the "Converting" page, as a reminder that ConversionThingy has no
affiliation with Moodle and that any failure of a ConversionThingy-generated
course site to load into Moodle should be generally be considered a ConversionThingy problem,
not a Moodle problem.
- February 28, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206. A pair of fixes for ANGEL issues
that are creeping out of the woodwork. First, the gradebook construction
problem fixed. Also, a small fix to take care of the appearance of this--""
(a character code for a vertical tab). What such a thing is doing in the source
file is anyone's guess, but it doesn't play well with XML. Don't get me
started. Also a documentation modification on the "Converting" page, drawing
attention to a potential restore problem on Moodle 2 servers with timeouts set
- March 4, 2011 - Builds 220.127.116.11-18.104.22.168. Something for everyone this time,
with a fix correcting the mapping of quiz-level question bank folders. That
adjustment means that pictures in the text of questions (which should already
have been passing through for course-level question bank questions) should now
also be appropriately linked for the quiz-level questions. This fix also catches
some problems with dropped question bank folders/questions in ANGEL conversions.
The modification has a significant enough impact that this upgrade is required,
- March 6, 2011 - Build 22.214.171.124. Moodle-to-Moodle2 conversions: adjusted code to bring in images in Lesson pages; adjusted code to allow
for spaces in filenames lurking in the course files area; adjusted mapping of course-level questions so these remain local to their quiz (as they were in Moodle 1.9x).
ANGEL-Moodle2 conversions: changed question mapping (see technical notes page). All conversions: added the previously omitted .flv mime type.
- March 10, 2011, late at night - Build 126.96.36.199. Moodle-to-Moodle2 conversions: fixed issue in which a Moodle 1.x file would fail to convert
(and raise an unrecoverable error) whenever that file contained Course Category or System level question bank folders. Didn't see that coming, I didn't.
Fixed now. Those question bank categories and their questions are now appropriately processed (I think), though they will be restored to the
course level categories when the backup is uploaded to a Moodle 2 system.
- March 28, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52. Moodle-to-Moodle2 conversions: tweaked file handling to catch some embedded files that went missing before.
ANGEL-to-Moodle conversions: tweaked file handling to catch some file objects that went missing before; addressed a gradebook concern regarding activities that
must appear in Moodle's gradebook but don't necessarily appear in ANGEL's.
- April 7, 2011 - Build 184.108.40.206. A required update. ANGEL-to-Moodle conversions:
added a cautionary message for users who uncheck the option for converting a
gradebook. All conversions: for the sake of continuity, the conversionstats.xml
and ids.xml files no longer get left behind when a new output folder is
selected; the "Pay for It" mechanism has been modified to make invoice
generation simpler--that last change was made just for you, dear reader...
- April 12, 2011 - Build 220.127.116.11. Another required update. ANGEL-to-Moodle
conversions: addressed issue in which an odd encoding of a reference to a server-based image/file had the
potential to crash the program. It happened rarely, I suspect, but it was
doubtlessly annoying when it appeared.
- May 1, 2011 - Build 18.104.22.168. Fixed an issue in the
construction of the number-to-letter grade table in ANGEL-to-Moodle conversions.
- June 1, 2011 - Build 22.214.171.124. Something for everyone. Moodle 1.9x conversions
will now also process "Feedback" activities--these get mapped to the
corresponding Moodle 2.0 feedback activity. ANGEL conversions from 7.3 and 7.4
will now process ANGEL "Surveys" to Moodle 1.9 and 2.0 "Feedback" activities.
ANGEL conversions will now also process the links from the ANGEL "Resources"
tab, collecting these into a page called "Resources" that gets put into the
first Moodle topic. ANGEL conversions also benefit from a fix to the placement
of labels from ANGEL subfolders.
- June 2, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199. Moodle->Moodle conversions should no longer lose
manually created items from the gradebook. ANGEL conversions should no longer
have a mismatch between the the gradebook "max grade" and the grade attached to
quizzes, dropboxes and ratings scales for forums. The ANGEL conversions will now
also prevent grade values of greater than 100 or less than zero from being
passed to Moodle: these get adjusted to an even 100 and a note gets made in the
conversion report. The issue concerning manually created items also gets fixed
for ANGEL conversions.
- June 8, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52. A required update, with better handling for
"points" based gradebook conversions from ANGEL, a new HTML cleaning option for
ANGEL content that was pasted from Word, a new standard insertion of the
conversion report as the top document in the Moodle 1.9 and 2.0 files generated
by ANGEL conversions, an option to map ANGEL folder titles/text into labels
instead of topic titles/summaries. See the
Configuration page's section on "Conversion Options for ANGEL Archives and
- June 9, 2011 - Build 184.108.40.206. A required update, again. Fix for newly discovered issue, under which
a badly constructed fill-in-the-blanks question in ANGEL will crash the entire conversion process. Also a fix for the
encoding on for the titles in generated if the topic-summaries-as-labels option is selected in for an ANGEL conversion.
[The installer for this update turned out to be a dud: that problem was fixed
about an hour after the update was first posted.]
- June 21, 2011 - Build 220.127.116.11. Another required update, for the benefit of ANGEL users, improving the identification and processing of
images to be downloaded (where they don't exist in the ANGEL backup file); also some adjustments to error strings that you will hopefully
- July 19, 2011 - Build 18.104.22.168. ANGEL conversions: added Word cleaning process to question text parsing for ANGEL conversions.
- July 23, 2011 - Build 22.214.171.124 All users are likely to benefit from this fix
mismapping of images in matching questions. Verified, by the way, that the rest
of the image mapping in quiz questions/answers is also correct for Moodle 2.1. Images
will display in the choice fields of a Moodle 2.1 multiple choice/multiple select questions (though this still isn't an option for Moodle 2.0x).
- August 11, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199. ANGEL conversions. This fixes a problem in which some option configurations in ANGEL's multiple-blank fill-in-the-blank questions would draw an error message.
- August 27, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52. ANGEL Conversions. ANGEL 7.3 and 7.4 handling of multiple blank fill in the blanks questions should again be parsing correctly to cloze questions; ANGEL 7.4 tree structure
being converted more elegantly (it was a mess) when there multiple levels of nested folders within folders; ANGEL 7.gradebook containing "extra credit" item(s) no longer causes crash.
- September 6, 2011 - Build 184.108.40.206. ANGEL conversions: added configuration
option to map all quiz questions to course level question bank, even where those
questions had not, in ANGEL, been added to the question bank.
- September 14, 2011 - Build 220.127.116.11. All conversions: set UTF-8 encoding for the
HTML conversion report that gets generated for each converted file. ANGEL
conversions: added some error detection to prevent badly constructed ANGEL
questions--those missing point values for some options, fill-in-the-blanks
questions that haven't actually identified any blanks, or single-blank questions
set to the "shared answers" option--from passing those problems into the Moodle
file (and then drawing an error on restoration). Also added a handler to prevent
recalcitrant non-ASCII character entity references from gumming up the works:
accented characters in object titles should no longer cause the program to halt
on unseemly error messages.
- September 20, 2011 - Builds 18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124. Dropped the ANGEL-IMS-CC fix option as no
longer necessary. Adjusted code so that a meaningless error message doesn't
appear when the output folder is changed back to a previous location. Made
adjustments to every page of the documentation, in most cases simply excising
mention of IMS-CC reprocessing functions.
- October 4, 2011 - Build 126.96.36.199. Added .nb, .nbml, .ma, and .m4v mime type
references for conversions to Moodle 2; improved process for handling of
non-archived image retrieval from ANGEL server, reducing prospect of having
conversion fail when file reference is oddly constructed.
- November 28, 2011 - Build 188.8.131.52. All conversions: unrecognized mime types now all incorporated as octet-stream by
default. ANGEL conversions: adjusted decimal figures (from 10 to 5) in gradebook entries to sidestep error when Moodle is
run against MS SQL server; added error condition to note (and skip processing on) labels that exceed maximum 65kb size.
Trimmed "Known Issues" page to reflect only current issues.
- March 11, 2012 - Builds 184.108.40.206 through 220.127.116.11. A required fix. Addressed problem with ANGEL Survey handling, so that the ensuing Moodle file
appropriately escapes ampersands. Honestly, I didn't think anyone used those things.... Also tweaked some rarely seen error messages
to make them more illuminating, added "Moodle 1.9x" files to the file selection dropdown, and, finally, took steps to ensure that a license agreement
will be visible even when the web site doesn't feel like delivering it. Existing installations will automatically upgrade when the program is next run:
new installations will just get this one in the first place.
- May 25, 2012 - Build 18.104.22.168. Resolved issue involving sort order of content in
deeply nested ANGEL folder constructions (for ANGEL 7.4 files). I think. Let me know if there are still problems. Also
created a slightly more intelligible error message for a problem that arises with Moodle-to-Moodle conversions when
a Moodle backup file fails to unzip because it contains files that, except for changes in case, have identical filenames
- June 1, 2012 - Build 22.214.171.124. Moodle-to-Moodle fixes, exclusively. The new error
message (from 126.96.36.199) has been replaced by a process to actually deal with the
error. When the program finds duplicate filenames in the Moodle source, it
now parses them to distinct names (sidestepping the error) and relinks them.
A pair of new options have been added to the Configuration screen for
Moodle-to-Moodle conversions, allowing the user to specify that the program
should 1) skip processing of Wiki elements, and 2) prune away any course
resources or activities it doesn't recognize. See the Configuring page for more
- June 14, 2012 - Build 188.8.131.52. Something for everyone.
A problem with the file count in Moodle-to-Moodle conversions has been fixed so
file counts at the end of a conversion will more closely reflect the actual
numbers. Moodle-to-Moodle conversions also convert Scales as of this release. A
new configuration option for both ANGEL and Moodle conversions allows users to
pick for inclusion in the output specific resources and activities from a list
of objects the site being converted. Documentation changes to the
configuration page, the converting age, the technotes page, and the home page also emerge in this release to bring
the documentation in line with changes that have been applied during the spring of 2012.
- July 12, 2012 - Build 184.108.40.206. Moodle-to-Moodle fixes, exclusively.
Firstly, and most importantly, a fix to a content sequencing issue in which sections would appear in the
correct order but the content would be out of order. That should be resolved now.
Secondly, the "Accordian" course format now maps to the "Collapsed Topics" format where it used to
just turn up as another "Topics" format course.
- July 25, 2012 - Build 220.127.116.11. A lone Moodle-to-Moodle fix to the calculation on time limits. (There was, in fact, no calculation before, resulting in
a direct--and incorrect--mapping of Moodle 1.9x minutes to Moodle 2.x seconds. ANGEL conversions did not have this issue.) Thanks to
Nate Jones at Iowa Central for bringing the Moodle problem to my attention.
- April 8, 2013 - Build 18.104.22.168. Moodle-to-Moodle fixes. Added process to convert
Moodle 1.9x "Journal" objects to 2.x "Online Text" assignments. Added processing
for Moodle 1.9x files to contend with issues caused by duplicate module IDs in
source files. Updated some of the pages on the website.
- May 13, 2014 - Build 22.214.171.124. Conversions to Moodle 2.x can now opt to use the
Moodle 2.4 assignment format. Web site also updated in lots of little ways.